Veterans Career Information
The Career Services Center at Western Washington University provides a full-range of resources and tools for enrolled undergraduate, graduate and alumni veterans. We recognize that veterans have developed an exceptional set of abilities honed through extensive training and experience. We are primed to assist veterans to interpret those into transferrable skills and convey them to future civilian employers. Our experienced staff offers a variety of services to assist you in any stage of the career planning process:
- Take Assessments to clarify interests and strengths
- Relate your interests and abilities to Majors and Careers
- Explore Internships, Employment & International Opportunities
- Utilize online Job Search and Resume tools
- Attend Events including internship, graduate school and career fairs
- Check out our quarterly Workshops for job search assistance
Other Helpful Services at WWU
- Veterans' Services
- Academic Advising & Student Achievement Center
- Tutoring Center
- Counseling Center
- Disability Access Center
* General Career and Education Information
- Transition Assistance Online: The largest source of transition assistance information, jobs, and tools for today's separating military
- G.I. Jobs: Contains information on a variety of career topics including resumes, career tips and the top 100 military friendly employers
- The Riley Guide: Contains a variety of articles and links pertinent to veterans job search
- Military.com: Includes sections on job search, resume building, networking for veterans and a skills translator
- Hire Heroes USA: Variety of job search tools specific to vets
- Military Hire.com: Many different job search resources with a database of jobs
- Veteran Education and Accredited Online Colleges: A very informative site with videos and podcasts about veterans transitioning to civilian jobs and corporate programs. It also contains a comprehensive listing of accredited online colleges.
GI Bill Information
Skills Translators and Occupational Information
- O*Net (Occupational Information Network) : Enter your military occupation code to determine the civilian equivalent
- Career One Stop: Find a wealth of information for vets including a skills translator
Employment Links and Information
- Vet Jobs: Easy to use job search database with links for each state
- Feds Hire Vets: Federal government job search for veterans
- Recruit Military: US veterans, Former and Transitioning military jobs
- Have you considered the Federal Government as a career? Visit USAJOBS
- Veterans' Employment & Training Services (VETS): US Department of Labor website
Networking and Social Media
- WWU's Career Services Information: Info on various social media sites with links to CSC's Facebook and LinkedIn networking groups
- LinkedIn Veterans Groups: Specific groups for veterans job search networking including- Veterans Hired and US Military Veterans Network
- Washington State Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Student Veterans of America
- Vet Guide: US Office of Personnel Management provides wealth of information on Veterans' Preference and other hiring policies
- Vet Success: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs
While all these websites contain potentially valuable career information, it is up to the individual to determine the efficacy of the site.
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
Please let us know what resources and information would be helpful to support you in your career planning and preparation by completing this form.
Interested in a tailored presentation or workshop?
A member of the Career Services Center team can provide a workshop or presentation for your student club! Complete this Presentation Request Form to find out more!